Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 835A Monterey Jr.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    835A Monterey Jr.

    I've got the bad habit of spending money I don't have to spare...... told myself no more buying stuff. So I went to the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, like I tend to do on Saturdays to browse...... just in case :-) Normally, I spend very little money there, so I figured I was safe...... sometimes less than a dollar for some staples/screws/etc. I came home with a pair of Monterey Jr's a Heath Kit tuner and an Eico amp...... all for $40

    Not being familiar with the Monterey Jr. I was hoping for a pair of 755's or 3000 horns...... they contain neither, but I'm currently listening to one of the pair, and they're decent little speakers. The woofer is a 402A and the tweeter is...... I have no idea. The tweeter is interesting in that it has no surround. It hasn't rotted.... it was never there to begin with. Any idea if the two drivers were built by Altec or were they purchased? I don't see any EIA codes.

    Here is a page from HiFilit:

    1959 i
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member hmolwitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2008
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 835A Monterey Jr.

    I was looking for a picture of the tweeter and failed, but I think it is the elusive t2000 with "Gap " suspension, no surround, kind of a rarity, and possibly collectible.
    Altec manufactured all of their own drivers in that era, it was only later they used purchased drivers for some of their consumer gear to the best of my limited knowledge. The tweeter for the Santana was purchased, as was that of the Capri.
    Harry

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 835A Monterey Jr.

    Here ya go;

    1959 j
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 835A Monterey Jr.

    GM should know those tweeters, he has mentioned them before, in very favorable terms - IIRC.

    GM?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 835A Monterey Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    GM should know those tweeters, he has mentioned them before, in very favorable terms - IIRC.
    They certainly seem to work well..... normally I run my tone controls flat, but I actually have to cut the treble a bit.

    I think these will be keepers for awhile....... I was just thinking that the little Monterey Jr's are my only stereo pair of Altec's. I never finished my A7's and have since sold the cabinets. I dis-assembled my 1221A monitors, sold the horns and gave the cabinets away. Everything else is either bare components or a single/orphan.

    Unfortunately, the cabinets need some work. They aren't trashed..... I'd just like them to be scratch free. They're small enough that refinishing them shouldn't be a big deal later on this summer.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 835A Monterey Jr.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Here ya go......
    I didn't even think of looking on the HiFilit site for more..... the page I posted was found by someone else in another forum.

    Thanks Bfish!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.